As it eases into the cooler days of fall...it's time to start thinking comfort foods like this delicious Frito Pie recipe made with a chili base (seasoned with taco seasoning) with a topping of sour cream, Fritos, and cheese.
One of my favorite meals growing up was Frito Pie. When I moved out of my parent's house, I brought this recipe with me.
It's a great meal to make for new moms, since you can bring it ready-made or send the base already made with the rest of the ingredients to add after it's been in the oven. Plus, many kids like the dish (or at least get excited about eating Fritos for dinner!).
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can (16 oz) pinto beans
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3½ cups corn chips
- 1¼ cup sour cream
- Cook ground beef until meat is browned
- Drain the meat.
- Stir in beans (drained), tomato sauce, taco seasoning mix and ¼ c. of cheese.
- Sprinkle 1 cup corn chips in bottom of 8x8 baking dish.
- Cover with chili mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
- Take the dish out of the oven, and spread sour cream over the chili.
- Top with the remaining corn chips and cheese.
- Bake 4-5 minutes longer until cheese is melted.