As I wrote last week, I try to make sure that we teach our boys about what Easter really means - how Jesus died on a cross to save us all from our sins and rose again. One of the ways we do this is by giving the boys a chocolate cross in their Easter baskets, but we also reinforce the Easter idea through books, music, and videos long before Easter day.
I thought I would share some of our favorite Easter books, CD's and DVD's. Most of them probably are geared toward younger kids (since mine are 5 and 2).
- Resurrection Eggs - Each of the eggs has a small object that has significance to the Easter story, such as nails, crown of thorns, an empty egg, etc. to help kids visualize the Easter story. Plus, there's now a book Benjamins Box : The Story Of The Resurrection Eggs that goes along with the eggs.
Books - ranked in order of my favorites
- God's Easter Love (BOZ Series) - my 2 year old LOVES Boz, and this book is great at comparing the new life found in nature (like leaves on the trees, a baby egg) to the new life that we can have in Jesus.
- What Is Easter? - talks about how it's ok to celebrate Easter with new clothes, candy, etc., but emphasizes what Easter is really about
- The Legend of the Three Trees: The Classic Story of Following Your Dreams - I love this story of the three trees that had big dreams that they thought were cut short, but they were fulfilled by God in ways they couldn't even imagine.
- The Story of Easter - another great board book that helps illustrate the Easter story
- The Parable of the Lily: Special 10th Anniversary Edition
- Things I See at Easter - this book was recommended by a reader, but it looks interesting.
Our Favorite Bibles - can read the story of Easter from the Bible...or possibly an idea for an Easter basket gift
- NIrV Read with Me Bible - my kids love for me to read to them from this Bible, and the illustrations are cute, too.
- The Big Picture Story Bible - this Bible helps kids understand the entire story of the Bible from the Old Testament to the New Testament
- Easter Favorites - the Cedarmont Kids sing Easter hymns
- VeggieTales: A Very Veggie Easter - a Veggie Tales Easter CD with narration and songs
- Handel: Messiah (Highlights) - would any list of Easter music be complete without Handel's Messiah?
- VeggieTales - An Easter Carol - this is a great Easter DVD
Next week, I plan on sharing some more ideas for Easter that you can do with your kids (such as the Resurrection Buns), etc.
What are some of your favorite ways to share the Easter story with your kids? Do you have any favorite books, CD's, or DVD's that I haven't listed? For more Easter ideas, visit Keeping the Kingdom First.