As I wrote last week, I try to make sure that we teach our boys about what Easter really means - how Jesus died on a cross to save us all from our sins and rose again. One of the ways we do this is by giving the boys a chocolate cross in their Easter baskets, but we also reinforce the Easter idea through books, music, and videos long before Easter day.
I thought I would share some of our favorite Easter books, CD's and DVD's. Most of them probably are geared toward younger kids (since mine are 5 and 2).
- Resurrection Eggs - Each of the eggs has a small object that has significance to the Easter story, such as nails, crown of thorns, an empty egg, etc. to help kids visualize the Easter story. Plus, there's now a book Benjamins Box : The Story Of The Resurrection Eggs that goes along with the eggs.
Books - ranked in order of my favorites
- God's Easter Love (BOZ Series) - my 2 year old LOVES Boz, and this book is great at comparing the new life found in nature (like leaves on the trees, a baby egg) to the new life that we can have in Jesus.
- What Is Easter? - talks about how it's ok to celebrate Easter with new clothes, candy, etc., but emphasizes what Easter is really about
- The Legend of the Three Trees: The Classic Story of Following Your Dreams - I love this story of the three trees that had big dreams that they thought were cut short, but they were fulfilled by God in ways they couldn't even imagine.
- The Story of Easter - another great board book that helps illustrate the Easter story
- The Parable of the Lily: Special 10th Anniversary Edition
- Things I See at Easter - this book was recommended by a reader, but it looks interesting.
Our Favorite Bibles - can read the story of Easter from the Bible...or possibly an idea for an Easter basket gift
- NIrV Read with Me Bible - my kids love for me to read to them from this Bible, and the illustrations are cute, too.
- The Big Picture Story Bible - this Bible helps kids understand the entire story of the Bible from the Old Testament to the New Testament
- Easter Favorites - the Cedarmont Kids sing Easter hymns
- VeggieTales: A Very Veggie Easter - a Veggie Tales Easter CD with narration and songs
- Handel: Messiah (Highlights) - would any list of Easter music be complete without Handel's Messiah?
- VeggieTales - An Easter Carol - this is a great Easter DVD
Next week, I plan on sharing some more ideas for Easter that you can do with your kids (such as the Resurrection Buns), etc.
What are some of your favorite ways to share the Easter story with your kids? Do you have any favorite books, CD's, or DVD's that I haven't listed? For more Easter ideas, visit Keeping the Kingdom First.
Kim @ Forever Wherever
What a great list!
Great ideas! I've been looking for some ideas for very small children. Thanks!
It Feels Like Chaos
Thanks for sharing these! We have some of them, but the others I'll have to check out. During our egg hunts, along with candy-filled eggs, we also always hide a few empty eggs and use them a as a reminder that the tomb was empty because "Jesus is Alive!" My kids love shouting that saying when they open the empty eggs.
Awesome! I will be checking back with you for more Easter ideas!
I LOVE the Legend of the Three Trees....I scored a used copy on Ebay last year.
another great Easter book is God's Easter Promise....by Barsness
Have a great day!
Corrie at "Cents"able Momma
It Feel Like Chaos - what a great idea to do during the Easter egg hunt! I'll have to try that this year.
Michelle - thanks for the book suggestion. I'll have to check it out!
Becky @ Frugal in Franklin
These are some of our favorites, too. Don't forget to make Resurrection Rolls. Even though my kids are moving into the pre-teen years, they still love this tradition. (You can google Resurrection Rolls to find a recipe)
What a great list of ideas!! Thank you!! I look forward to reading the other ideas you have as well.
We have used the resurrection eggs in Sunday school for the kids. We used to go to Sunrise service on Easter morning (very early for us as well as the kids). We also did the dvds and the books like you did (we especially love the three trees). My kids are older now, so it's just a continued conversation.
A happy heart at home
Thanks for the great list and all the links!
Here's another board book: Things I See at Easter by Julie Stiegemeyer
Shelley a.k.a. Momma
Thanks for lots of great ideas! I made my own set of resurrection eggs last year, love them! I added those Bibles to my Amazon cart so I will remember them...I have been wanting to get something like those! We just finished the Jesus Storybook Bible!
Thanks so much for the suggestions I have been wanting to get a story bible for my 18 month old. Any suggestions? Thanks for joining Show off your Blog Saturday. I loved reading your post and hope you can join in again this week!