It's not officially a holiday for my kids without making sugar cookies in holiday shapes. And Valentine's Day is no different.
These Classic Sugar Cookies are easy to make and yummy...and better yet you can customize the cookies with cute Valentine's designs with frosting.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, solid
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1-1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- about 1⁄2 cup of powdered sugar or cornstarch for rolling the dough
- In large bowl, combine sugar, butter, coconut oil, and cream.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and beat on medium high with a mixer for 1 minute to whip in some air.
- Add vanilla, egg, baking powder, and sea salt, and mix well.
- With mixer on low add in flour 1⁄2 cup at a time to slowly integrate the flour.
- Make sure to scrape the sides after each addition. Mix well.
- Split the dough into three equal pieces and wrap each third in plastic wrap or a Ziploc bag. (You could also freeze the dough to thaw and bake on another day, if you want.)
- Place them all in the refrigerator to rest for 1 hour. This will let the dough stiffen a little and the butter won’t melt too easily.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and line cookie sheets with baking mat or parchment paper. This will allow the cookies to bake evenly.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar or cornstarch lightly on the rolling surface and bring out one third portion of the dough. (Keep the remaining dough in the refrigerator for now.)
- Roll out the dough to about 1⁄8 inch thickness.
- Dust the cookie cutter with powdered sugar or cornstarch and cut out your cookies.
- Place the cookies on the lined pans about an inch apart.
- Bake the cookies at 400 degrees for 5 to 9 minutes. The edges will be lightly browned.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
Allow cookies sheets to cool completely. Placing cold dough on a warm sheet will make the cookies spread too quickly.
- Wilton 101 Piece Cookie Cutter Set
- Silicone Baking Liners 3-Pack
- Baker's Secret 10-by-16-Inch Nonstick Cooling Rack (Set of 2)
Recipe inspired by: Pillsbury Complete Cookbook: Recipes from America's Most-Trusted Kitchens