I love to create fun, creative desserts that both kids and adults will love. But, I don't necessarily have the time or talent to create bakery-style cupcakes. Plus, it's even more fun when you can get the kids involved in the recipe for extra fun.
That's why I love these Easy Minions Cupcakes that anyone can create with cupcakes and Twinkies. You could even cheat and buy the cupcakes already pre-baked and decorated and just add the Twinkie Minion to the top!
If you're looking for some of “specialty” ingredients, you can shop Amazon for the Wilton Candy Eyeballs and Wilton Black Icing Tube (or your local craft store like Michaels, JoAnns, or Hobby Lobby will likely carry them.
- Box Cake Mix
- Box of Twinkies
- Buttercream Frosting or you can use the homemade recipe below
- Wilton Decorator Eyes
- Black Icing Tube
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Mix and bake cake mix according to Instructions filling cupcake liners approximately ½ full.
- Cut Twinkie cakes in half.
- To make the faces of the minions simply add 1 or 2 black dots where the eyes will go. Then gently press the decorator eyes into the black dots. This will give the look of the goggles around the eyes.
- Then finish the straps of the goggles by adding a line of black icing down the side of the minion.
- Add some fun little mouth expressions on their faces.
- Once the cupcakes have been taken out of the oven allow them to cool completely.
- Take your buttercream frosting and mix in approximately 20 drops of blue icing. You may need more depending on how dark you want the icing.
- Frost the cupcakes using plenty of frosting on each one. I find this makes it sturdier so the minions do not fall.
- Add the minion bodies on top of the cupcakes
- In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar, vanillaand enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Makes about 3 cups.