These DIY Solid Cedar Coasters are a great gift idea…and they're easy to create even for people who have zero experience with woodworking (or even cutting wood)!
If you don't have any of the materials to cut your cedar board, you can always ask your local home improvement store to cut it for you when you make your purchase. Just look for an associate in the lumber department. Be sure to know your size measurements (and possibly have measuring tape handy).
Then, you can lightly sand the coasters either by hand or even with an inexpensive handheld sander. Don't go too crazy with the sander since you want to keep the key features from the cedar.
Finally, spray 2 coats of lacquer onto your coasters (letting them dry in between coats) to add some protection from moisture when you use them as coasters.
Once they're completely dry, you can bind them together with some twine and give them as a gift.
- 3-4 Inches of 4x4 Cedar Wood
- Spray Lacquer
- Twine (optional)
- Begin by cutting your wood into four ½-inch pieces. If you do not have the capability of cutting them with a miter saw or hand saw, the lumber store can cut them for you for free when you purchase your wood.
- You can choose to sand by hand or with a handheld sander. Thoroughly sand each piece down but be careful to not sand too much as to take away the best features of cedar.
- Next, spray each piece thoroughly with a coat of lacquer.
- Wait for them to dry (20 minutes or so) and add another coat.
- Once dry, stack them and tie with a piece of twine (this is especially nice if being used as a gift).