This DIY Plate and Bowl Bird Feeder is a great idea for an inexpensive bird feeder to help the birds over the winter.
You want to start by drilling holes in the middle of the plastic bowl and plastic plate. Use a block of wood under the plate so you don't accidentally drill into the material below.
Place a nylon washer on the bolt with the unthreaded portion on the bottom. And then slide your bowl down the bowl so that it's sitting on the washer on the unthreaded side of the bolt. Add some super glue to the washer or bowl and let it dry for a few minutes. Slide an additional nylon washer down the bolt so that it's resting on top of the bowl and glue it down.
Place one of the nuts about an inch down the bolt with a meal washer on top of it and add your plate face down on top of the washer. Add another washer on top of the plate along with another nut.
Finally, tie a nylon string around the bolt on the top of the last nut and then screw the last nut on top of the string to secure it.
And you have a DIY Bird Feeder that was easy to create!
- Plastic Bowl
- Plastic Plate
- 3/18” x 10” Carriage Bolt
- 2⅜” Nylon Washers
- 2⅜” Metal Washer
- 3⅜” Nuts
- 2 Feet Nylon Cord
- Super Glue
- Drill (⅜” standard drill bit)
- Begin by drilling a hole directly in the middle of your bowl and plate. Take it slow and easy and do not force it, it may take a couple minutes of drilling. The cheaper plastic is not the best for this project. The plate is better drilled with a piece of wood under it for support.
- Now, place a nylon washer on the bolt. The unthreaded portion will be on the bottom.
- Place your bowl on the bolt so that it sits on the unthreaded end of the bowl and on top of the nylon washer you placed on the bolt. Place a bit of super glue on the washer or bowl and give it a minute to dry.
- Place your second nylon washer onto the bolt so that it falls down into the bowl. Super glue this washer down as well.
- Now, place one of the nuts about an inch down the bolt and put a metal washer on top of it.
- Next, place your plate on top face down. Place your other metal washer on the bolt on top of the plate along with another nut.
- Tie your nylon string around the bolt on top of the last nut and then screw your last nut on top of the rope to secure it.