Since I hate to clean, our master bathroom shower has taken a real hit. When we bought our house, it had a beautiful, new shower with tile and a glass surround. However, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to keep that shower glass clean from soap scum. As you can see below, it was looking pretty bad!
I've tried several store bought cleaners in the past, but they never did a great job on the glass doors. So, I thought I would try this DIY Bathroom Soap Scum Remover to see how common, everyday ingredients would do in cleaning a tough soap scum challenge. It came out the cleanest I've seen our shower since we bought our house.
Please note: if you have tile in your shower, try to avoid spraying the DIY mixture on the tile since vinegar can damage grout over time.
Here's how my shower glass door looked before I used the DIY Bathroom Soap Scum Remover. Yes, I know...it's super dirty.
First, I combined the vinegar and corn starch in my glass measuring cup and microwaved for 2 minutes. Then, I added the Dawn to the mixture and poured it into an empty spray bottle. I waited to add the Dawn until after microwaving, since otherwise it would start foaming when it boiled.
In my shower, I liberally sprayed the glass doors and fiberglass pan at the bottom of my shower and then set the timer for 10 minutes. I ran my exhaust fan since the vinegar and Dawn smell can be pretty potent.
After 10 minutes easily scrub the floor and glass walls with a sponge and then rinse with the showerhead and a spray bottle filled with water. Finally, I used a clean towel to dry all surfaces to avoid streaks.
You can see from the after picture above that it worked great with a minimal amount of physical labor on my part!
- 1 cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp. Dawn Detergent
- Combine the vinegar and corn starch in a microwave-safe container (I used my glass measuring cup) and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Then add the Dawn to the mixture and pour into an empty spray bottle. Be sure to wait until after heating the vinegar and corn starch to add the Dawn since it will start foaming if you heat it (as the mixture starts to boil).
- Liberally spray the glass doors and fiberglass pan at the bottom of your shower
- Set the timer for 10 minutes. Although the ingredients are natural, be sure to run your exhaust fan since the vinegar and Dawn smell can be pretty potent.
- After 10 minutes easily scrub the floor and glass walls with a sponge
- Rinse with the showerhead and a spray bottle filled with water.
- Use a clean towel to dry all surfaces to avoid streaks.