During the chilly days of fall and winter, I love to snuggle on the couch under a blanket with a nice hot cup of hot chocolate. The problem is…I'm kind of picky about my hot chocolate. It needs to taste amazing, which means just a cup of hot water and mix won't cut it for me. I love this Death by Chocolate Hot Chocolate recipe, since it's a great mix of chocolate and cream.
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chip morsels
- ⅓ cup boiling water
- 3½ cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- Combine the cocoa and sugar in a saucepan.
- Blend in the boiling water.
- Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir.
- Add in chocolate chips and stir until melted.
- Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3½ cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil!
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Divide between 4 mugs.
- Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.