These cherry cookies are a fun surprise with the maraschino cherry hidden inside the cookie. They are great for Valentine's Day, or you could even make them for the holidays. They are nice and moist since they're made with a vanilla cake mix.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 4 oz (½ brick) cream cheese
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 20 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3-5 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice (or grenadine)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix together cake mix, cream cheese, butter and egg.
- Portion into 1½ Tablespoon-sized balls (I used a cookie scoop to help with this). You should end up with approximately 20 cookie balls.
- Take one ball and flatten it in your hand. Place the cherry on top and fold the cookie dough around the cherry (carefully) to cover it completely.
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until cracked and no longer glossy.
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack as you prepare the drizzle.
- Mix together the sugar and maraschino cherry juice - starting with 3 Tablespoons and adding more to get a runny yet still somewhat thick texture.
- Drizzle the pink cherry drizzle over the cookies and allow to set before serving or packaging.