My husband likes to eat cereal bars with his lunch. However, they aren’t always super healthy. We both love this recipe for Healthy Strawberry Oatmeal Bars.
They’re easy to make, and I know all the ingredients that are going into them. They work great as a breakfast, snack, or even a dessert since they’re sweet.
If you prefer a different fruit, you can replace the strawberries with 2 cups of mixed berries, cherries, apples, or whichever fruit you prefer. The crust is crispy and buttery.
If you need a gluten free recipe, you can substitute gluten free flour and gluten free rolled oats.
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ cup flour
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about ½ small lemon)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 cups, small-diced strawberries
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and pre-heat to 375 degrees F.
- Line an 8x8” baking pan with parchment paper so the paper overhangs the two sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ginger and salt.
- Pour in the melted butter and stir until it forms clumps and the dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Set aside ½ cup of the crumble mixture, then press the rest into an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Scatter half of the strawberries over the crust
- Sprinkle on the cornstarch, lemon juice, and ½ tablespoon sugar evenly over the top.
- Scatter the remaining berries, then the remaining ½ tablespoon sugar.
- Sprinkle the reserved ½ cup crumb mixture evenly on top. Berries will be peeking through the topping.
- Bake the bars for 35-40 minutes, until the fruit is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool on a wire rack completely.
- Once cooled, pull bars out of the pan using the parchment paper - slice and serve.