I love these DIY Photo Coasters as a gift! They are super cute, easy to make, and very inexpensive. My youngest son's class has made these for their grandparents for Grandparent's Day at school, and I'm making a set for my husband for Christmas.
I was able to get the 4x4 white tiles at Home Depot for $0.13 each, the felt was $0.25 a sheet at Hobby Lobby, and I used a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby to buy the Modge Podge! I had the other supplies (a cutter, corner rounder, and a foam brush) from my former scrapbooking days, but you can improvise with items you already have on hand, if needed.
DIY Photo Coaster Gift
If you're looking for an inexpensive, but easy DIY gift for Christmas, Mother's or Father's Day, or even just a birthday gift, these DIY Photo Coasters are perfect. I made 4 of them in minutes for just a couple of dollars.
- 4x4" Tiles
- Sheet of Felt
- Mod Podge
- Corner Rounder (or you can cut your own with scissors)
- Foam Brush
- Scissors (or Paper Cutter)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Print photos as 4x4" images
- Cut out the photos
- Round the edges for decoration
- Coat a 4x4 tile with Mod Podge
- Carefully center the photo on the tile, making it flat and straight with no bubbles
- Wait 20 minutes for it to dry
- Add a light coat of Mod Podge on top of the photo and tile to seal it. Add horizontal and vertical stripes. You won't see the Mod Podge when it dries, but you will see the brush marks.
- Let the Mod Podge dry for another 20 minutes
- Cut the felt into 1-inch squares and hot glue to each corner on the underside of the tile.
I'm wondering if the mod podge holds up well with any liquids that drip off the glasses, or are these not really meant to be used as actual coasters
You could spray them with a sealant for extra protection against liquids.