Did you know that you can now use your Wii to stream instant Netflix movies and TV shows to your TV? I was excited when I heard about it several months ago since we got a Wii for Christmas. Prior to that, I had been considering purchasing a Roku player for streaming…but now I don't have to. Note: you can also stream if you have an Xbox 360 or PS3.
How Does It Work?
- You need to have the $8.99/month Netflix plan, which includes unlimited streaming. You will also need to have a Wii (or other streaming device) and wireless internet.
- Previously, you needed to have a Netflix DVD that you had to insert into the Wii each time you wanted to watch something on Netflix. However, you can now download the Netflix Channel in the Wii Shop for free and access Netflix via the main menu
- Select the Wii Shop Channel in the menu
- Select “Wii Channels” from the Wii Shop Channel main menu and then select “Netflix Instant Streaming for Wii.” (it costs 0 Wii points)
- Once it's downloaded, you can simply choose the Netflix channel.
- Search for a good movie or TV show to watch and enjoy
If you don't already have Netflix, you can get a FREE 30-day Netflix trial.