We love Oreos in our house, and we love doing fun patriotic things for the holidays (like Memorial Day and the 4th of July). This recipe is a fun and easy way to do something for the holiday. It can be a fun activity to do together with your kids and it will also look cute on the table for a holiday party.
- 12 OREO cookies
- ½ cup white candy melts
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable shortening or lard
- Blue & Red Sugar Sprinkles
- Prepare a surface with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for the candy-dipped OREOs to dry on.
- Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl or cup, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second bursts and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency. You don't want to overheat it or the chocolate can burn (and will not work for dipping).
- Dip the OREOs halfway into the melted white candy, pull out and let any excess candy drip off, and then double dip.
- Place the OREO cookies on the parchment paper and immediately sprinkle with sugar crystals to ensure they stick and cover completely. You can roll the OREO cookies in the sprinkles, but sprinkling them on is a bit neater.
- Allow to dry before serving or storing.
- You can store the cookies in a covered container for up to 2 weeks.